[PD] labeled inlets

=?X-UNKNOWN?Q?g=FCnter_geiger?= geiger at xdv.org
Fri Dec 10 11:28:28 CET 2004

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004, Orm Finnendahl wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> recently I saw another on someone's computer pd's cursor showing a
> question mark and, when moved to a labeled inlet of a subpatcher, the
> label.
>
> How do I get that to work on my own machine? I got 0.38-10-0test10.

Hi,

It is one of the proposed features for pd that got ported to
0.38 by Tim. Get it from:

(its the  "tooltip" diff file).

Then you have to patch the pd sources. In the "src" directory do
patch -p1 < tooltip.diff and then recompile.

It would be easy to change the code in order to just show nothing when
there is no description of the inlets available, instead of question
marks.

I was working for a while with that system, and it helped me a lot to
keep my patches clean and well structured. I am one of those people who
constantly forget how they have designed an abstraction, being able to
check from the outside what which inlet does helped me a lot.

It is also possible to add inlet descriptions to builtin objects and
externals.

Guenter

PS:
Unfortunately the diff files are called "patches" in the software world
and on the sourceforge tracker page. It was already pointed out that this
is confusing, as pd files are called patches too ... maybe I just use
"diff files" instead.