[PD] pdp_xv can't create

martin pichlmair pi at attacksyour.net
Mon Dec 20 08:08:01 CET 2004

> Using ATI X300 with the generic VESA driver.

generic vesa - that's the problem. you can't do videoprocessing with
generic vesa drivers - its like racing indianapolis with a vw beatle.
you should really figure out how to use (at least 2d-)accelerated
drivers because pdp_sdl will also not work hardware-accelerated
otherwise. it tries to get a yuv context and if it fails it _should_
fall back to a software-only 2d rendering context. thus it should give
you a window but that won't help you much.

> Given the ATI driver
> problems with XOrg and some other issues, I'm going to install Sarge or
> Ubuntu, mostly to fix some other problems,

actually i have problems with xorg too. seems like the distros are only
halfway through in packaging everything to accept it. i use gentoo. no
fun to compile 2 hours to realise that linking of xorg fails due to
glibc problems.

> but this as well. If,
> however, I do end up using pdp_sdl, I'll be sure to throw together a
> help patch and send it to you.

thanks a lot. actually that would remind me of all the missing
functionality :-)

lg
martin