[PD] gem live-video input

sara kolster sara at x-i.net
Thu Dec 23 00:15:34 CET 2004

Hey James,

> ...you'll be happy to know that I've got an improved pdp2gem bridge
> working:  I'll commit it to cvs after a few more things are ironed
> out...one thing you might want to do with the current one is not use
> the [pix_rgba] object (as is shown in help-pdp2gem.pd):  it's
> incredibly slow, and not really necessary anymore...you can always use
> a blend message to get that alpha effect, anyway...

Well, that sounds promising. But first i'd like to tune into Gem and see
how far I get with using only Gem.

> ...don't know what you mean by "Gem-graphics [mostly 1 px-lines]" and
> live video?  Are you wanting to have each line (horiz. or vertical?)
> of the video as a seperate line?  Or do you want to just draw lines
> over a video?  If the latter, just map the video to a rectangle, then
> use [curve] or [curve3d] or whatever to draw in front:  see their help
> files for more info...

What I meant is a separate layer of lines on top of the video. I use the
rectangle for that right now. But i'll also look at the curve-ojects you
just mentioned.

> ...uh, look in "Gem/help/gemwin.pd"...there is also
> "Gem/examples/02.advanced/15.GemWin.pd"

Well, my paths probably weren't set right. But i've them now.

> ...but, I don't think either of these address the "can't move the
> gemwindow" problem (outside of manually sending offset
> messages)...there is a trick to get it to work on osx:  hold down the
> command button when you click on the window's title bar, and you'll be
> able to drag it around (also works for giving [gemmouse] input)...

Thanks for the tip.

Sara