[PD] pd on ubuntu linux anyone?

ix ix at replic.net
Thu Dec 23 16:41:05 CET 2004

> i  dont remember well, some libraries seem to be missing ... whas it tcl
> maybe?.
> I will try later again and copy the error to post it to the list.
> its a pitty because Ubuntu looks quite nice but i have tried compiling
> PD, Audacity, wxpython, and none works. its gonna take me time to make
> it work.

imo, ubuntu is a rather silly alternative to normal debian since its limited itself to GNOME apps. there are just as many if not more QT apps..which are arguably more user friendly on a xp/osx level. but there are still options for ubuntu:

one is add sid sources to your list:
echo "deb http://ftp.fi.debian.org/debian/ sid main contrib non-free" >> /etc/apt/sources.list && apt-get update

youll now be able to install all the ppc audio apps that agnula/demudi/other maintainers have added to debian unstable. they include pd, sc, ardour, rosegarden etc..

or you should simply be able to compile it on ubuntu after doing this:

apt-get install libjack0.80.0-dev alsa-base alsa-headers xlibs-dev tcl8.4-dev tk8.4-dev gcc g++ automake autoconf

ix