[PD] pd on ubuntu linux anyone?

altern enrike at altern.org
Thu Dec 23 17:32:35 CET 2004

>>i  dont remember well, some libraries seem to be missing ... whas it tcl
>>maybe?.
>>I will try later again and copy the error to post it to the list.
>>its a pitty because Ubuntu looks quite nice but i have tried compiling
>>PD, Audacity, wxpython, and none works. its gonna take me time to make
>>it work.
>

> Maybe first try to compile "hello world" (apt-get install hello), then
> this more complicated packages? (I'm not joking.)

first i need to configure my modem properly ... But i will try "hello
world" first to test when i manage to get online - if internet still
exists by the time i get it working :)

> It sounds like you don't have the "-dev" packages for the libraries
> install, which are needed by those source packages. Compiling should
> work with apt-get (again) if you do a

the error is about some tcl header I paste it at the end of the mail, i
couldnt copy it, but i checked and i do have tcl 8.4 installed, weird,
maybe is not the whole thing and there are as you say some packages
missing?. I will email to the ubuntu mailing list to see if i can get a
better picture of the problem.

thanks to all for the tips

r2d2 at ubuntu:~/Desktop/pd-0.37-4/src $ ./configure
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for egrep... grep -E
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking for sys/types.h... yes
checking for sys/stat.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking for memory.h... yes
checking for strings.h... yes
checking for inttypes.h... yes
checking for stdint.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking for pid_t... yes
checking for size_t... yes
checking whether time.h and sys/time.h may both be included... yes
checking for ANSI C header files... (cached) yes
checking fcntl.h usability... yes
checking fcntl.h presence... yes
checking for fcntl.h... yes
checking limits.h usability... yes
checking limits.h presence... yes
checking for limits.h... yes
checking malloc.h usability... yes
checking malloc.h presence... yes
checking for malloc.h... yes
checking sys/ioctl.h usability... yes
checking sys/ioctl.h presence... yes
checking for sys/ioctl.h... yes
checking sys/time.h usability... yes
checking sys/time.h presence... yes
checking for sys/time.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... (cached) yes
checking bstring.h usability... no
checking bstring.h presence... no
checking for bstring.h... no
checking whether gcc needs -traditional... no
checking return type of signal handlers... void
checking for vprintf... yes
checking for _doprnt... no
checking for gettimeofday... yes
checking for select... yes
checking for socket... yes
checking for strerror... yes
checking for dlopen in -ldl... yes
checking for sin in -lffm... no
checking for sin in -lm... yes
checking for pthread_create in -lpthread... yes
checking for X... no
checking for XCreateWindow in -lX11... no
no X11 found
checking tcl.h usability... no
checking tcl.h presence... no
checking for tcl.h... no