[PD] adding new objects while audio is on

John Nowak john at johnnowak.com
Fri Dec 31 13:15:02 CET 2004

One thing which drives me nuts about Max/MSP is that adding signal
processing objects or adding/deleting connections while audio is
playing results in clicks and nastiness as the DSP chain sorts itself
out all over again. Someone mentioned in passing on the max list that
PD does not have this problem. I have always assumed that PD had the
same issue, but perhaps this is not so. A quick bit of googling didn't
turn up much (as indeed it would be a weird thing to come out and say a
problem you do NOT have...). If PD were to allow me to create patches
which could repatch themselves and spawn new objects during audio
playback, I'd be quite excited. Is such a thing possible? I assume the
answer is no, but it never hurts to ask...

- JN