[PD] displaying text in a patch

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sun Jan 2 21:04:59 CET 2005

Hallo,
Federico hat gesagt: // Federico wrote:

> however, looking at your object, i tought it can be very useful if it
> allows you to *enter* data.
> think to an editable 2d grid, or better, think to a tracker (do you
> remember that old sequencers that were used for composing C64 & Amiga
> tunes?).

I did something like this for my rradical collection, but it's not in
the CVS yet. Basically it's very similar to rrad.nseq.pd on the CVS,
which already is very tracker like, but only for numbers. In
rrad.symseq.pd I replaced the number boxes with symbol atoms (Ctl-4).
Then I can input and sequence symbols easily. A special trick then
allows to store something like "more than one symbol" inside such a
symbol: seperators!

Currently I use "x" as a seperator there, but in theory it can be any
character. If you have a symbol "30x40x50x60" then you can make a list
out of it with [s2l x]. You can feed it as well by somthing like [l2s
x]. Both s2l and l2s are in Zexy, or maybe use fromsymbol/tosymbol
in Cyclone.

This is very trackerish already and IMO quite flexible. Now symbol
atoms only need some better line editing interface... (readline
anyone?)

Ciao