[PD] PD + Cellular Automata

Mathieu Bouchard matju at sympatico.ca
Tue Jan 4 10:51:43 CET 2005

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005, Ian Smith-Heisters wrote:

> I wrote a couple days back asking for help compiling SCAF. I haven't
> been able to figure it out, so I was wondering if anyone has other
> tools to use CA with PD.

GridFlow has cellular_1d.pd for playing with the 256 possibilities of
one-dimensional three-input cellular automata. The patch even identifies
the automata in essentially the same way as Stephen Wolfram does in
"Mathworld" and "A New Kind Of Science", save maybe for some mirror
effects: e.g. rule 30 in GridFlow is the same pattern as rule 30 of
Wolfram, except that it is flipped horizontally.

GridFlow also has game_of_life.pd, the most famous cellular automaton. A
benchmark. On an AMD K7 2166 MHz (that is, model 3000), I get those
results (including display on a non-occluded window using X11-SHM):

	resolution(px)  speed(fps)  datarate(megapixels/sec)
	120 by 160      900         17.28
	240 by 320      216         16.58
	480 by 640       53.5       16.43
	864 by 1152      18.0       17.90

The last one is my screen's resolution, so i stopped there... however,
bigger simulations can be made, if you downscale just before displaying,
or if you record to QuickTime (.mov), or if you use the data in some other
way of your own choice.

(Oh and I compiled GridFlow _with_ MMX support here)