[PD] Re: [PD-dev] Re: prepend w/ set message - ignore

Mathieu Bouchard matju at sympatico.ca
Tue Jan 4 18:08:11 CET 2005

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005, Chris McCormick wrote:

> >   * Turing Machine
> >   * Lambda Calculus
> >   * Game of Life
> <http://www.quinapalus.com/wi-index.html>

Yes, this one is a nice one. :-]

Another thing I did not mention is that, out of the above models, the
Lambda Calculus is the one that (in my opinion and looking at history) has
the most potential as a programming paradigm. The only thing is that it's
so minimalistic that it requires substantial additions to become usable.

However, there's one real-world language that very closely follows that
model. It is called Haskell. Various languages follow more loosely
Lambda. The author of LISP cites Lambda Calculus as a major influence, but
LISP strays from it significantly.

And of course, Lambda Calculus is the reason for the name Lambda being a
keyword in many languages such as Lisp, Scheme, Ruby, GNU ObjectiveC, and
possibly several dozen more.

That kind of influence is not nearly matched by the other models, even
WireWorld. AFAICT, WireWorld is still essentially a "toy", or a language
designed to prove a point.

Still, WireWorld is something I'd like to look at more seriously some day
=)

Thanks, and have a nice day.

Mathieu Bouchard -=- Montréal QC Canada -=- http://artengine.ca/matju