[PD] [ot] portable harddisk recording device

Thomas Grill gr at grrrr.org
Wed Jan 5 17:57:49 CET 2005

Hi,
i'd like to thank you all for the valuable information.
It's a difficult choice.... the harddisk players don't seem to provide
the quality and flexibility i'd like to have. Really interesting is the
Compact-Flash solution pointed to by Frank Barknecht, but it's already
a bit too expensive.
Today i had a look at the new generation of Hi-MD-Recorders (Sony),
which seem quite ok... they are really compact and 100 minutes of PCM
recording time is enough for me. They have USB-IO and optical in,
plugin-power for electret micros, acceptable level meters, the usual
editing capabilities and the possibility of using normal batteries.
Maybe i'm also biased by the fact that i have been using my good ole
MD-Walkman for nearly ten years now, without any problems, also
withstanding some hard crashes. At the moment, it's sure difficult to
get the Hi-MD media at most places of the world, though.

best greetings,
Thomas