[PD] PD + Cellular Automata

Mathieu Bouchard matju at sympatico.ca
Sat Jan 8 07:22:41 CET 2005

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005, Ian Smith-Heisters wrote:

> Hot, thanks. I haven't even looked at Gridflow yet, so this a good
> excuse to roll up my sleeves and learn a new API (is a set of PD tools
> technically an API?).

There is no really clear distinction between an API and a user interface.
Even though GUIs have become the stereotypical meaning of the phrase "user
interface", there are more people knowledgeable about the UNIX user
interface nowadays than at any other point in history.

PureData just blurs the line further.

In the light of whatever has been said about Pd being a programming
language, then a set of PD tools is not an API, but it is the
implementation of one, and the API is the set of conventions used to
communicate with the implementation and make it do work.