[pd] pda on ipaq

=?X-UNKNOWN?Q?g=FCnter_geiger?= geiger at xdv.org
Sat Jan 8 20:22:38 CET 2005

On Sat, 8 Jan 2005, James Aldridge wrote:
> Hi, I am interested in learning what PDa can do...

hi,

> does anyone on this
> list have it installed?  Was getting familiar/PDa up and running
> relatively simple? ..

If you have the model you just need to reflash the iPaq and familiar
should be there. I would say its simple if you know how to do it,
but the first time it was a bit scary ..

> Can you install and use midi libraries?

I don't know of an iPaq (or other PDA's) with midi I/O. It is possible to
hook up serial devices on the serial port.

> How much
> DSP can you use before it craps out?

exactly 100% :)
no, honestly, its not the fastest machine, so you can run some sound
synthesis algorithms, playback some soundfiles, depending on what you
do it runs out of DSP quite easily.
Normally you also have to tune it a bit more than common Pd, in terms
of audio buffer size, switching of audio input, realtime flag.
It reminds me a lot of the times of the first notebooks that where
running pd.

> I have the link..
>
> Who is the author of this project? Someone on the max list said that he
> was here somewhere but I am not too sure of the name.. Any info would
> help me out tremendously.

I am almost finished with the new web site for PDa, it should go online
the next days, watch out for more information on the announcement list.

Guenter