[PD] pix_video

MvH cola at looze.net
Tue Jan 11 01:04:14 CET 2005

Hello,

I read about ieee1394 support in gem's pix_video, I immediately tried it
out since my bttv died today. I used the example video patch in the
helpfiles, I told it to use driver 1, it did say I had v4l AND ieee1394;
I did a search on the mailinlist archive, but nothing came up like the
problem I encountered:

fglX11AllocateManagedSurface: __FGLTexMgrCreateObject failed!!
FGLTexMgr: open of shared memory object failed (Function not implemented)
__FGLTexMgrCreateObject: __FGLTexMgrSHMmalloc failed!!!
fglX11AllocateManagedSurface: __FGLTexMgrCreateObject failed!!
shutting down dv1394 after 140 usec

I note that suspicious three letter combo fgl there: and yes I have a
radeon - is this the problem and is my video setup correct? I can view
camera image with kino...

other question: afaik, dv cams use compressed video; I see cpu usage of
kino is very high when only displaying frames - does this mean the video
is being read from the camera and decompressed on the fly? does the
dv1394 implementation on GEM work the same ( decompressing) and can I
expect the same amount of cpu usage? using the bttv I know it's cpu
friendly, but dv cam until now was cpu expensive.