[PD] Connecting to an IP via Internet

Mathieu Bouchard matju at sympatico.ca
Wed Jan 12 20:36:50 CET 2005

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005, Koray Tahiroglu wrote:

> I have problems to connect to an IP number which is outside of my
> network by using [netclient] - [netreceive] objects.

I suppose you mean [netsend].

> When I try within the same network, I can connect, but I dont know if
> it is possible to connect an outside IP with pd.

BTW, if you are looking for compatibility with the protocol used in the
"Arts' Birthday" project, [netsend] and [netreceive] are not compatible
with that, although they're very close. They lack two things:

  1. ability to omit semicolons at the end of messages
     (interpreting every newline as implicit semicolon)

  2. bidirectional sockets

This is why you have to use [pd_netsocket], which implements exactly those
two features, as I have originally written that external as my
contribution to Arts' Birthday, for the benefit of the students of
the University of Ottawa.