[PD] PD license technicalities with regard to selling a project...

rodney rodney at atr.jp
Sat Jan 15 02:45:59 CET 2005

Hi all,

I am hoping to sell a musical gadget to childrens' science museums and
similar institutions.

Among other things, it uses PD to handle the sequencing of midi for the
sound.

I am a bit unclear about the legalities of doing so because of PD's GPL
license.

I guess that what I need to do is make it clear in the sale agreement that
the PD part is free and that no charge is being made for it.

Because the project will eventually run under windows (currently linux), it
would be possible to use Max instead of PD. How do Cycling74 handle that
kind of re-sale stuff? They have playback only modules for max don't they?
Do people sell Max projects in that form?

I'd rather use PD because it already works just fine, but I want to make a
nice easy to sell package for the customer.

The other major component is also gpl, but we negotiated with the author to
get a non-gpl distribution of his liraries.

Anyone have some clues about this kind of thing?

Cheers,

	Rod

Rodney Berry
ATR Media Information Science Laboratories
Kyoto Japan
rodney at atr.jp
http://www.mis.atr.jp/~rodney
Ph:   +81-774-95-1449