[PD] PD license technicalities with regard to selling a project...

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sat Jan 15 03:01:30 CET 2005

Hallo,
rodney hat gesagt: // rodney wrote:

> I am hoping to sell a musical gadget to childrens' science museums and
> similar institutions.
>
> Among other things, it uses PD to handle the sequencing of midi for the
> sound.
>
> I am a bit unclear about the legalities of doing so because of PD's GPL
> license.

Pd is not GPL!! It's released under a BDSish license which basically
allows you to relase a binary without providing source code. However
some externals are GPL, so this requires you to release source for
them and your changes under GPL.

> I guess that what I need to do is make it clear in the sale agreement that
> the PD part is free and that no charge is being made for it.
>
> Because the project will eventually run under windows (currently linux), it
> would be possible to use Max instead of PD.

Pd is free for all OSes.

> How do Cycling74 handle that kind of re-sale stuff? They have
> playback only modules for max don't they?  Do people sell Max
> projects in that form?

Better ask on max-msp list about this.

> I'd rather use PD because it already works just fine, but I want to
> make a nice easy to sell package for the customer.

Well, you can include all Pd in it, which IMO is even nicer than just
distributing a crippled version of Max/MSP.

Ciao