[PD] Embeded PD

Mathieu Bouchard matju at sympatico.ca
Mon Jan 17 14:41:55 CET 2005

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005, Cory wrote:

> this is my first post to the list so hello everyone!
> does anyone have any information on compiling/running PD on embedded
> linux devices, or even on webTV boxes and the like?
> I was in the thrift store and noticed the large number of these devices
> laying around for like $5-$10 and thought it would be interesting to
> use them as synths!

Your best start is the distribution of Pd called PDA, which apparently
gets rid of float (replacing it by some kind of fixedpoint, i don't
know which).

My personal attempt at something weird was to compile the standard Pd
(with floats) on a NetWinder.

A NetWinder is a subdesktop computer whose failed marketing plans included
a role similar to webTV... back in 1999 it got sold as a server for
~1000$US. It runs an ARM processor which must be the most common kind of
processor besides PC Intel/AMD, save *maybe* IBM/Motorola Power chips (aka
G4,G5,etc). The ARM processor is available in various models and is used
in almost all (say 90% of) handheld computers nowadays.

The NetWinder doesn't have native floats, but I still compiled the
standard Pd because anyway 99.99% of the computational horsepower was
to be the GridFlow plugin.

I'd like the standard Pd to include some kind of fixed-point hack as a
compile-time replacement for t_float, but the cleanest way to handle this
that I know requires C++, and... er... [the following might be the
Leitmotiv for 2004-2005] I Don't Think Miller Will Want To Maintain This
(tm).