[Fwd: Re: [PD] constructing "data" - how do I see shapes?]

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Tue Jan 18 00:04:43 CET 2005

Hallo,
Thomas Grill hat gesagt: // Thomas Grill wrote:

> > I apologise if this has already been answered. tut.tgz is a tarred and
> > gziped archive. It looks like you have managed to decompress the archive
> > (so it is no longer gzipped). You now need to untar it. To do this you
> > need tar for windows, which can be found at
> > http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/tar.htm. Other programs may
> > also untar.
>
> Winzip (which is widespread) does both at once, but it's important to have
> .tgz not .tar.gz as extension.

Yep, that's actually one of the reasons why I use .tgz normally for
tar.gz-files. The other is, that some browsers (used to) decompress
*.gz files on the fly without changing the filename accordingly, so
that you'd end up with "tut.tar.gz" when it in fact already is a
tar-file like "tut.tar".

Oh, and it seems, 7-zip is a GPL'd free alternative to Winzip, if you
don't want to pay.

Ciao