[PD] grain generator for gem

Sara Kolster sara at x-i.net
Thu Jan 20 12:39:52 CET 2005

>> At 15:37 19.01.2005, chris clepper wrote:
>> >pix_aging will put some 'noise' and scratches over your video.
>>
>> well yes. allready looked up pix_aging. but somehow i wasn`t really happy
>> with its results.
>> what i am looking for is not dust and scratches but filmgrain. the grain
>> pix_aging produces
>> is not really fine structured. but anyway. i think i will try around a
>> little more.

Also I found the pix_aging quite 'rough'. As Wolfgang writes, the filmgrain
looks too much like pixel-blobs. Where I was looking for is more fine
scratches, but the scratches in pix_aging are far to big, they are more like
thick lines over the picture. Is there a way within pd to adjust the structure
a bit? Or, is there a way in Gem you could draw 'scratches' [more like etching]
on a picture?

>> >   The particle system is somewhat analogous to granular synthesis for 3D.
>>
>> well the particle system would be a good thing. but there is the problem
>> with openGl. a
>> 3dimensional particle system (well maybe not in commercial 3d applications)
>>
>> tend to
>> be more like little lines then concrete pixels. what i am looking for is
>> something like
>> a 2d particle system which can be textured on geos. i think that could
>> bring nice results
>> in grain generation.

I agree. I was playing around with the particle system as well; but didn't quite
get it to do what I wanted. But a 2D system could be interesting.

Sara