[PD] flext + syncgrain~ problem

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sun Jan 23 12:32:30 CET 2005

Hallo,
Thomas Grill hat gesagt: // Thomas Grill wrote:

> Hi Derek,
>
> > Syncgrain~ must be the wierdest "external" to get running! There really
> > aren't any "installation" or usage instructions that come with it, but

There is a README and a help-patch, but admittedly they don't cover
compiling. Compiling actually just involved editing
config-pd-linux.txt and doing "make".

> > from searching the archives I can see that it "just works [tm]" if you
> > have Flext installed with SndObj support.
>
> hmm, that wasn't stated by me, since SndObj support is "just there [tm]" but
> not really well tested.

Generally it "just works [tm]". ;) Although syncgrain~ AFAIK is the
only external using it in CVS, I also have some other externals on my
disk which use Flext-SndObj and they are pretty straightforward.

> > Well, I have done exactly that, with pd-0.38-0test10 as the base, and
> > the [syncgrain~] object still fails to make.
> >
> > I figured it was a problem finding Flext, so I added
> > "/usr/local/lib/pd/flext" to my /etc/ld.so.conf and ran "ldconfig" to no
> > avail.
>
> this is only relevant for externals that are linked dynamically, however you
> can also link it statically.

The makefile of syncgrain~ links statically with flext.a, so dealing
with ld.so.conf is not necessary if you just want to run syncgrain~.
However what about moving libflext.so etc. so /usr/lib? I don't see a
real problem with doing this, it would solve some installation hassles
and libpdp does the same. AFAIK there is no other libflext already in
/usr/lib on common Linux systems.

> If externals like to use the new build system they have to have some package
> information, that can range from simple for externals with no external
> dependencies to quite complex.
> In the simplest case it breaks down to just having a "package.txt" file with
> the following content:
> NAME=name of external
> SRCS=source code files
> Please see build.txt and buildsys/readme.txt in the flext folder for more
> info.

I didn't yet find the time to adapt my externals to the new flext
build system, but it's definitely on my TODO list.

Ciao