[PD] send~ and receive~ issues

Piotr Majdak piotr at majdak.com
Mon Jan 24 16:30:20 CET 2005

Hi!

I have a problem with the latency between some parts of my patches -
some of them are delayed by 64 samples (=block size). I think I've
created some [r~]s before other [s~]s, which would lead to this
behaviour. But: I don't know which objects are affected and I've got
more than 50 [s~]s and [r~]s ;-)

The structure of the signal path is something like that:

main patch "mypatch": [pd PLAY] [pd DAC]

   subpatch "PLAY": [play sig1] [play sig2] ... [play sigN]

     abstraction "play.pd":

       [readsf~]

       [s~ $1]

   subpatch "DAC":

      [dac dac1]     [dac dac2]  ...   [dac dacN]
       |              |                 |
       |              |                 |
      [dac~ 1]       [dac~ 2]          [dac~ 3]

     abstraction "dac.pd":

      [r~ sigX]

     [outlet~]

     (playX will be set in real time to the necessary signal sigX)

Then, I want to start each of the readsf~ with different delays. To
achieve that I use [1( with many [delay]s, with different delay values
for each [readsf~]. Even if I quantize all delay values to the block
size, I've got an additional delay of the block size on some channels,
which only depends on the delay values and is not a jitter on DAC buffers!

Is it possible to determine the order of [s~] and [r~] having a look to
the patch files?

I'd like to apply the suggestion of Miller to delete and recreate all
[r~]s, but what I don't know is what should I do:
- recreate the single [r~] object in the abstraction "dac.pd" or
- recreate all "dac.pd "abstractions in the subpatch "DAC" or
- recreate the subpatch "DAC" itselft in the main patch or
- something else?

thanx in advance,

Piotr Majdak

--