[PD] send~ and receive~ issues

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Mon Jan 24 16:53:54 CET 2005

Hallo,
Piotr Majdak hat gesagt: // Piotr Majdak wrote:

> I have a problem with the latency between some parts of my patches -
> some of them are delayed by 64 samples (=block size). I think I've
> created some [r~]s before other [s~]s, which would lead to this
> behaviour. But: I don't know which objects are affected and I've got
> more than 50 [s~]s and [r~]s ;-)
>
> The structure of the signal path is something like that:
>
> main patch "mypatch": [pd PLAY] [pd DAC]
>
>   subpatch "PLAY": [play sig1] [play sig2] ... [play sigN]
>
>     abstraction "play.pd":
>
>       [readsf~]
>       [s~ $1]
>

>   subpatch "DAC":
>
>      [dac dac1]     [dac dac2]  ...   [dac dacN]
>       |              |                 |
>       |              |                 |
>      [dac~ 1]       [dac~ 2]          [dac~ 3]
>
>     abstraction "dac.pd":
>
>      [r~ sigX]
>     [outlet~]
>
>     (playX will be set in real time to the necessary signal sigX)
>

> Then, I want to start each of the readsf~ with different delays. To
> achieve that I use [1( with many [delay]s, with different delay values
> for each [readsf~]. Even if I quantize all delay values to the block
> size, I've got an additional delay of the block size on some channels,
> which only depends on the delay values and is not a jitter on DAC buffers!

One problem might be, that [del] is quantized to I think, 64 samples.
You cannot go below that with a [del] object. You might try the t3
objects instead.

> Is it possible to determine the order of [s~] and [r~] having a look to
> the patch files?

Yes, somehow at least. Take a long(!) look at
doc/3.audio.examples/G05.execution.order.pd

Ordering involves using subpatches which force your objects to be in a
certain dsp-ordering. Maybe dummy-connecting your PLAY and DAC
subpatches as shown in the example file will already help in your case.

Ciao