[PD] Problems with readsf

ix at replic.net ix at replic.net
Fri Jan 28 21:38:40 CET 2005

> I use several readsf~ objects in my patch. All of them are loaded with
> the same sound file using [open soundfile( message. Then, I start
> playing sending [1('s to choosen readsf~ objects in a particular order.
>
> All seems to work, but: sometimes, in, say, 1% of all cases, I get an
> error from a readsf~ and, of course, no stream is played. The error
> message is:

same. bursts of random-digital noise and/or header errors about 3-5% of the time, regardless of platform - my wav collection is rather roughshod and includes files saved from just about every wav editor ever...and many without any filename-extension at all from the old mac days - anyways i've made a patch that uses the superior header-mangling of InfoAudio (wavi.pd, wavi.pl, player.pd from replic.net/~ix/pd/gui/pool/dl/), now these bursts of static and 'unknown header format' errors are a thing of the past..

> error: dsp: soundfile: unknown or bad header format
>
> Strange, I always use the same soundfile ;-) The file is stored local,
> with no lock. Do you guys know what's up with readsf~?

.....agree it's strange how one file will work, then not work a few seconds later (or go staticy), then work again..

without trying to compare the header offsets and bitrates pd comes up with vs infoaudio, most problems seem to stem from the difference between 32bit-float and 32bit-int formats, or from playing a 24bit int file when another non 24-bit int file was already playing..