[PD] counting elapsed samples

Tim Blechmann TimBlechmann at gmx.net
Mon Feb 7 14:27:32 CET 2005

> > i wouldn't recommend resizing tables on the fly, since iirc it will
> > require the dsp chain to be recompiled ...
>
> well, i would rather recommend to not recompile the dsp-chain when
> resizing a table.
the problem is pd's handling of arrays. objects using tables contain the
pointer to the data, not the pointer to the structure of pointer to data
and size. basically every time the position of the data in the memory
changes, the dsp chain has to be recompiled.
imo that's a design fault!

i made some suggestions how to change that, but it seemed, miller hasn't
been interested in that ... so this stupid behaviour won't be changed
for some time ...

> basically every time the position of the data in the memory changes,
> the dsp chain has to be recompiled
every message sent to tables will cause the dsp chain to be recompiled.
for the threaded soundfiler i implemented a resize message, that does
all the memory operations (allocation, copying, freeing) in a seperate
thread, but still, the dsp chain has to be recompiled ...
my idea was to have a synchronous behaviour (messages to arrays) and a
threaded (clickfree) behaviour (soundfiler)

cheers ... tim

--
mailto:TimBlechmann at gmx.de    ICQ: 96771783
http://www.mokabar.tk