[PD] can you ask an object how many ports it has?

John Nowak john at johnnowak.com
Thu Feb 10 11:47:26 CET 2005

Is there any way in Pd to find out how many inlets or outlets a named
object has? This is one of my biggest annoyances in Max. I want to
create a class of objects (class in the loose, non-OO sense) that all
take input in the same range and can be patched together randomly to
form a sort of tree of endless complexity. Doing so requires that I be
able to find out how many inlets an object has, so I know how many
things to script in to hook up to it. In Max, currently the only way to
do it is to keep making objects and trying to hook them up, catching
errors when they occur and then deleting the objects intended to be
hooked up to the non-existant port: Obviously a pain, and quite slow as
well, as Max doesn't perform terribly well when writing out errors to
the Max window in rapid succession.

- John