[PD] audio convolution filters

Ian Smith-Heisters heisters at 0x09.com
Thu Feb 17 23:37:29 CET 2005

Hello all,

I've been playing with image convolution filters, and wanted to take a
look at the same ideas in audio. I was wondering if someone could point
me towards some good resources. I've played a bit with the FFT
tutorials, but they don't make too much sense to me yet, I think I need
more background. Google hasn't been too yielding, perhaps since I'm not
too sure what I'm looking for. Dodge's /Computer Music/ only has two
references to convolution, baiscally saying it's really cool, and
Soundhack uses it alot.

I put together a little patch to experiment from the FFT examples and my
little understanding of convolution, but it's very staticky. Note that
it's meant to have the audio fed in through an inlet. The hanning window
on the left doesn't do anything (of course), but the one on the right,
an attempt at a Prewitt edge finder, does something interesting but
staticky.

Any sort of advice would be helpful.

Thanks much,
Ian