[PD] PD on mobile devices

vanDongen/Gilcher gml at xs4all.nl
Sat Feb 19 23:07:01 CET 2005

On Friday 18 February 2005 10:09, Jamie Bullock wrote:
> What about the (long time) forthcoming Linux cellphones - e680 a760? Are
> they contenders for running PD?

I got one of those, an E680. You can order them via ebay and they get sent
from hong kong.
It is very nice, a 400 MHz Xscale cpu, memory expansion with those little
cards. Pretty cheap for a smart phone or pda, about 300 euros + shipping.
Comes with english and chinese handwriting recognition.
But, the kernel may be linux, it is really well hidden. I think motorola and
qtech want people to do java apps (midlets they are called). Direct coding in
C or C++ for the machine needs some kind of "official" development contract I
think. I saw some posts in the hong kong linux forum that said how to get
shell access through usb, but I haven't been succesfull.
I still need to put it through its paces though. I still haven't tried it with
a decent microphone f.i. I need to get one of those 1 or 2 GB memory cards
for it and then it should be at least good as an ipod mini or a decent
portable recorder.
It does have a kind of java openGL, (with games) so maybe it could run pd+GEM
if I ever figure out how to program for it.
So at least one pd user/programmer (myself) is occasionally fiddling with
those.