[PD] [pmpd] - meaning of messages

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Mon Feb 28 15:17:20 CET 2005

Hi,

I have a couple of questions regarding the [pmpd] object. It is not
quite clear to me, what the messages to this object mean exactly.
Actually I'm very confused about them.

As I see it, there are basically four messages possible to create the
dynamic system: mass, link, in, out.

All of these take IDs as arguments. I don't understand the meaning of
those IDs. For example to create a mass, one uses messages like:

mass ID MASS X

MASS and X are easy, but what is this "ID" used for?

"link" also takes IDs as argument, but it seems to ignore the ID given
to a mass on creation, instead it seems to use its own IDs and it has
an ID itself:

link LINK-ID MASS1-ID MASS2-ID  K D

Where do I get the mass IDs from? In my experiments, it seems just
have to keep track of them myself, and they have nothing to do with
the ID I gave to a mass earlier. Or do I get it wrong?

Outlet creation (and inlet creation respectively): As I understand it,
the format is:

out OUT-ID OUTLET MASS-ID AMPLITUDE

AMPLITUDE seems to be a scaling factor. OUT-ID I don't understand at
all: what use does it have? Am I right to assume that OUTLET is
numbered from 0 to max-outlet-number, where max-outlet-number is the
second argument of pmpd minus one? And then MASS-ID: Does it start
from 0 as well? Or from 1? Where do I get this ID from? In my
experiments, it seems to have to be the MASS-ID I used when creating
the "link"s.

Sorry for my confusion...

Ciao

             _ __latest track: fqdn _ http://footils.org/cms/show/38