[PD] dbtorms amplitude scaling sounds wrong

Stefan Turner stefan_turner at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Feb 28 19:14:03 CET 2005

Hi Roman, list,

 --- Roman Haefeli <reduzierer at yahoo.de> wrote:
> ciao
>
> the [dbtorms] works quit correct afaik.

Yes, I thought it was probably me!

> actually, +6dB means a doubling of the amplitude.

Of course it does...don't know why I suddenly thought
dB was a linear scale of loudness.

> i prefer using the 'square' scale, wich is something
> like a combination
> of these two:
>
> [inlet~]
> |
> |   [slider 0 -1 ]
> |   |
> |   [t f f]
> |   |     |
> |   [*   ]
> |   |
> [*~]
> |
> [outlet~]

Thanks for the suggestion, I will give this a try.
Does this work because power is proportional to
amplitude squared? And do you know if it is what mixer
faders, for example, (both software and hardware)
would generally use? I am interested to know what the
'right' way is.

Thanks for your help.

Stefan Turner