[PD] PD/Audio in redhat or suse

ix at replic.net ix at replic.net
Tue Mar 1 18:58:01 CET 2005

On Tue, Mar 01, 2005 at 12:43:52PM -0800, Ian Smith-Heisters wrote:
> What about Ubuntu? There are some fantastic Pd packages for debian, and
> I'm pretty sure Ubuntu takes that and adds an installation and
> ease-of-use to rival Suse, Redhat, and anyone else. Plus, apt is a
> better package manager than most out there, except emerge and
> arch-linux's, imho.

afaik - Ubuntu takes a "snapshot" of debian-unstable every 6 months. only a few selected apps are updated more often (say Firefox, that sort of thing). whatever audio packages guenter and agnula ppl etc maintain for debian are praobably not on that short-list. plus, it does not have KDE..

chances are, youre going to end up compiling from source anyways, to get a patch or newer version of something that youre interested in. gentoo is the easiest by far for this, since usually you dont even have to get a tarball as an ebuild proably already exists unless the release is 3 seconds old.. for slower machines, debian unstable does not require compiling thigns you dont WANT to compile, but still has lots of niceties like 'make-kpkg' to make things easier...i found it impossible to fix basic things on suse that werent configured right by the automated/GUI tools it included..