[PD] PD/Audio in redhat or suse

Pall Thayer palli at pallit.lhi.is
Tue Mar 1 21:54:08 CET 2005

I've been using Redhat and Fedora for several years on Thinkpads. They
just handed me a new R51 at work to replace my old R31. Of course the
first thing I have to do whenever they give me a new laptop is to toss
Windows and install Linux. This time, I had limited time as I got the
new laptop yesterday and had to return the old one today. So instead of
upgrading to Fedora 3 (downloading all the iso's) I decided to put
Fedora 2 on because I had it laying around. Fedora and Redhat have
always been problematic on these Thinkpads. There's always something
that doesn't work or doesn't work as it should. I had my old one running
rather well, was using CCRMA's repository, all the necessary software
worked but 802.11 was problematic and I couldn't use any power
management features because then the mouse pointer would start jumping
all over the screen, opening a multitude of windows and just going
berserk. So this time, I hoped that IBM had done something different so
that a basic Fedora 2 install would just work. No such luck. But I still
didn't have time to download all the FC3 iso's so I decided to try
Ubuntu (just one iso to download) and it's great. Everything works
(well, except I had to download and install some specific stuff for
802.11) and in their apt repository they have PD, jack, externals and
all sorts of stuff. True, Ubuntu doesn't come with KDE but you can
install it from their apt 'Universe' repository.

Pretty cool distro. I even ordered 15 cd's from them to distribute at
work (they pay for shipping and everything, you don't pay a dime). I've
been hammering away at it all day and the only problem I've had so far
was with Rosegarden4. I think it just needs some extra KDE stuff.

Pall