[PD] Best PD-GEM Performance Computer ... + wiki

vanDongen/Gilcher gml at xs4all.nl
Sat Mar 5 12:44:23 CET 2005

On Monday 28 February 2005 11:50, Winfried Ritsch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have to assemble one special PD/GEM Performance Computer and also I
> always got some questions about Computer best for PD performance.
>
> I Started a Wiki which discuss dedicated PD Computers (also embedded ones).
> If someone has made some special hardware and/or experiences, it would be
> nice it will be shown there...
> http://puredata.info/community/projects/pdcomputer/
>
> My questions now:
>
> a) Quadro vs. geforce:  If I want display on multiple large screens, (is
> there) what is the benefits of NVIDIA quadro cards to geforce (eg. 6800
> SLI) on signal quality rendering benefits. ?

Have you considered some of the other "workstation" class cards from
3dLabs or Appian.
They need Accelerated-X from xi graphics (www.xig.com) and not standard xorg
or X86free. But what I understand from their website, xi's X implementation
is also very good for ATI and Matrox cards. Does anybody have any experience
with that? (they claim performance massive performance gains, even beating
ATI's binary drivers for windows and linux in benchmarks)

I have no experience with this stuff,  Nvidia card. But I thought I should
mention that there are alternatives to Nvidia chips.

Gerard

--
electronic & acoustic musics-- http://www.xs4all.nl/~gml