[PD] basic OS x install problems

derek holzer derek at x-i.net
Sat Mar 5 14:58:10 CET 2005

Hello Gair,

 > dyld: /Applications/pure
 > data/Pd-0.38-0test4HCS1.app/Contents/Resources/Scripts/../bin/pd can't
 > open library: /sw/lib/libgsl.0.dylib  (No such file or directory, errno
 > = 2)

This sounds like a PDP problem to me. To check for certain, start up pd
without pdp and pidip. If they're in your .pdrc, remove them
temporarily. If PD starts up fine, then you know where the problem lies.
If it still doesn't start, then you've got to deal with Hans Christian's
installer perhaps.

My advice would be to return to a known, working configuration. In this
case, get the CD which I gave you at the workshop and do the exact same
install proceedure which got it working that time. The CD I gave you
should contain a tested OSX version of PD 0.37 that I know doesn't have
problems with the Mac [haven't found a version of 0.38 that I would
consider reliable yet!]. So, first double-check that you are using some
version of OSX 10.3. Then ALL follow the instructions on the following
page up to step 08 [remember these?]:

http://umatic.nl/INSTALL.txt

This should give you all the dependencies which PD, PDP and PiDiP need
to start up.

After that, the easiest way to start PD is to open a terminal and type:

/usr/local/bin/pd

get back to us on the list if this doesn't work.

 > Is there anywhere a tutorial/online material on how to use
 > console/terminal etc, and what the commands mean.

As far as a general comman line tutorial for the Mac, I would recommend
getting O'Reilly's "Mac OSX in a Nutshell" (look for the OSX 10.3
edition). The second half of the book contains a good introduction to
that thing which scares most Mac-users to death: the terminal! It
includes an overview of common Unix commands, an intro to Fink, and some
material on defaults, paths, shell programming and pattern matching in
the terminal. You're really missing half the fun if you haven't gotten
into this stuff yet ;-)

good luck,
derek

--