[PD] Segmented patch chords?

Mathieu Bouchard matju at sympatico.ca
Thu Mar 10 19:52:24 CET 2005

On Sun, 6 Mar 2005, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> And state saving modelled somehow after Memento as builtin. And more
> powerful list processing. And so on. Segments come way down on this
> list.

I'm thinking about eventually adding reference-counted lists to
devel_0_38, so I would like to survey what would be a good selector name
for that kind of data.

I am thinking about listp where the final p means pointer. It could also
be list* to be C-like. I think "listpointer" may be too long. The contents
of the message would be only a pointer to the actual list, instead of a
full copy of it.

This would finally allow for nested lists. This would use the two reserved
characters { } and would allow for messages like this one:

listp {0 foo {1 2 {}} {a b c} {42 3.1416 2.718 1.618}}

I'm not sure whether those lists would be mutable/immutable though. If
they are mutable they would fill the gap of having arrays that don't just
allow floats, but also everything else.

Those pointers would not be compatible with (g)pointers, that are only
"allowed" to point to point to pd objects, and that don't do
reference-counting.