how (many) are we [was: Re: [PD] Segmented patch chords?]

Ian Smith-Heisters heisters at 0x09.com
Fri Mar 11 17:20:07 CET 2005

derek holzer wrote:

> Seems like the main difference in people's experiences meeting other
> users is whether or not they live in Europe. I don't think there's less
> PDers in the States, but they are much farther apart, and there's simply
> no interesting venues for new media art in the States [festivals and the
> like] so they never have a chance to meet each other.

This is what it seems to me. The only regular venue for stuff like this
I know of in the whole US is ShareNYC, but I've never seen another PDer
there, though I heard H.C.Steiner has been around. Of course NYC is a
long shot if you live on the west coast, wheras from what I hear about
Europe, you can live in London and be in Berlin 20EUR and an hour later.
  Hmmmm... anyone know of any jobs for a programmer with a specialty in
realtime media in Europe ;) ?

Europe has higher population density, plus I think there really are more
PDers in Europe. IEM is there. IRCAM is there.

-ish

--
http://www.0x09.com