[PD] Repairing wav files written by pd 64bit

Mathieu Bouchard matju at sympatico.ca
Sat Mar 12 06:02:03 CET 2005

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005, thewade wrote:
> >typedef unsigned int uint32; /* long isn\'t 32-bit on amd64 */
> >I just applied this fix to devel_0_38.
> >I don\'t claim that this is the last such bug. I also don\'t have a K8 so I
> >can\'t test.
> Yay, this worked! So now readsf~ works an I imagine that writesf~ does
> too! (I will test that later) Thank you!
> Now if arrays would opperate correctly on 64-bit I would be where you
> all are now, as far as working PD software goes...

Unlike in MAX and jMax, it's not possible make PureData individually
address more than 16Mfloats (64Mbytes), because beyond 24-bit the float
format loses detail (no odd numbers anymore, etc.) whereas MAX and jMax
have a 32-bit signed integer type which can address up to 2Gfloats
(8Gbytes).

This issue can be overcome by using 2-D (doubly-indiced) arrays as
available in some externals, but nothing that's compatible with regular
pd float-arrays, afaik.

If you try to hardcode indices in a patch, and save it and reload it, it's
even more limited, something like 20-bit (up to 1Mfloat), after which the
values get corrupted.