[PD] experiments in Boston...? Was: Re: how (many) are we

David O'Toole dto at irrationalgames.com
Sat Mar 12 18:07:17 CET 2005

I would love to see an inclusive, self-organizing, informal group that
invites all experimental music/media folks to participate in
occasional meetings/discussions/performances in the Boston
area. There've got to be Pd-people around here, and people using other
tools...

While my friends and I did get an occasional gig performing at places
like Gallery Bershad in Somerville (now closed), there aren't many
venues for experimental music in this city, whether on GNU/Linux or
not. I think the musicians are here, ready to be tapped, but the noise
isn't happening out in public. it is hard to get little groups going
here, in part because people in Boston aren't as socially outgoing.

On a more personal/historical note,

Most of our shows were in NYC, during that brief period in the
mid-to-late 90's when a small-town college kid with an old Pentium 2
and some warezed audio software had a chance to make real money
selling ambient / "IDM" / alternative electronic pop records and
getting signed to labels like Warp and Astralwerks. (Except, we
dreamed about being whisked off to the UK when we finally made it big,
instead of Hollywood.)

Things were quiet on the music front while while I worked on school
and changed careers, but I've just finished building a new performance
rig (see link below)

http://puredata.org/community/projects/pdcomputer/KarmaPod

Any folks on this list live in or near Boston, and like the idea of a
mailing list for Bostonian Pd / experimental audio / video people to
get together and jam and create public happenings?

--
David O'Toole
Irrational Games
dto at irrationalgames.com