[PD] PD 4 DOS

derek holzer derek at x-i.net
Sat Mar 12 20:22:41 CET 2005

Hi Beau,

I think that Frank's point was that you would be running PD without the
graphical environment anyway, so problems configuring the display would
be pretty irrelevant. You'd probably want to program your patches on a
machine where you could see what you are doing, however ;-)

I've run Planet CCRMA on older computers like the one you have, and I
would say that the default graphical environments (either KDE or Gnome)
are both way too heavy to get anything done in terms of audio on 120mhz.
I would install something bare-bones like Debian or Gentoo, skip the
window manager or run something very light like blackbox, fluxbox or
xfe and/or run your patches in a non-graphical environment (which is
what you'd be doing if you ran PD in DOS, if that were possible).

best,
derek