how (many) are we [was: Re: [PD] Segmented patch chords?]

Anton Woldhek woldhek at xs4all.nl
Wed Mar 16 19:31:37 CET 2005

Hi guys,

> I think the problem is the old problem of privilege as much
> as anything. It's not a problem specific to women, but all
> "minorities". Actually I was thinking that open-source
> should/could be a very interesting thing in context of first
> peoples communities. I think communities like these would be
> very ideologically connected to the open-source concept.
> (from my white western "priviliged" perspective anyhow)
> Imagine if there was an open source OS (and there may be)
> that was centered around the ideology of a non-western
> community, a true fusion of spirituality and creative computing.
>
> Interaccess was involved in something called the "Container Project"
> (http://www.container.access-it.org.uk/) that basically got
> funding to plunk a shipping container / computer lab into
> rural areas, in our case Jamaica, and taught workshops and so
> on there. Strangely there was little exposure to open-source
> software. People learned how to do HTML on old os9 macs and
> on windows98. I wonder if there is such a thing in the
> western world for first peoples communities.

I didn't read back the whole thread (sorry), but maybe you will find
http://www.nabuur.com an interesting iniative. Its an online community based
effort to solve issues in (Mostly) third world countries. But with a twist,
first of, people can offer their wisdom directly without some NGO coming in
between, and 2nd, local communites can get in contact with each other
directly. I suggest you check it out for yourselfs because im very lousy at
explaining the concept.

Cheers
Anton