[PD] Repairing wav files written by pd 64bit

Mathieu Bouchard matju at sympatico.ca
Thu Mar 17 00:11:53 CET 2005

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005, thewade wrote:

> Anyway I thank you for your attempt but I am hoping if you could
> translate what you say here to dummy speak. Lastly I am not worried
> about trying to use the full addressing power of my 64-bit machine, I
> just want to be able to use [soundfiler] to write to an array
> completely (using for example an 8.5 meg file), not just half of an
> array. I am fine working within limitations. Also is playback from an
> array using tabread4~ inconstantly responsive because of this 64-bit
> bug?

in dummyspeak, it's that all the kinds of [tabread] will fail in "weird"
ways if you go over some 16 million float limit.

There's another 16 million float limit that is hardcoded in
pd/src/d_soundfiler.c :

  #define MAXBUFSIZE 16777216

You can change this to something else, recompile, reinstall:

  #define MAXBUFSIZE 666666666 /* evil */

but there are various other limits starting in the gigabyte range, that
are more difficult to overcome.