[PD] gem & cinepak video on linux

patrick patrick at 11h11.com
Thu Mar 17 22:32:57 CET 2005

hi tim,

sorry can't help you with the memory leak... but

i'm looking too for the best video codec for linux/gem. since libdv is
really slow on linux (expensive on the cpu), i have to encode my footage,
but i want to keep a good resolution (640x480). so, i did some test with
lots of formats and codecs. the best codec for quality and not too expensive
on cpu is avi :: rawvideo (yuv i think). but the colors of the video in gem
are bad (rainbow)...

so, i tried mpeg2. it's loading fine, but there's a problem: gem can't loop
it, i have to reload the video. maybe it's the way i encoded it (using
ffmpeg). some people say that motionjpeg with quicktime is the best, but not
for a 640x480 video...

still doing some research, i'll let you know and let me know!
pat