[PD] pd on shared linux server

cera cera at reduxproject.com
Thu Mar 17 22:37:47 CET 2005

hi all,
i'm new to this list (and pd) so i thought i'd introduce myself & throw
out some general (and more specific) questions i've got...
i've been working with max/msp for the past few years, and i've always
been curious to check out pd, but haven't had the occasion (or else i'm
just lazy ;)
basically what has motivated me to take the plunge is an interest in
creating a series of patches that will stream audio from a linux server
based on user interactivity on a website
like i said i'm new to this game, so any hints you all can give me
would be great
i'm thinking basically i'd use the xml socket library in flash with osc
as the glue between flash & pd
i've downloaded pd for os x & started going through the documentation,
so hopefully i'll be up & running fairly quickly on that end of things
in the meantime i'm trying to figure out how to get some sort of a
testing environment up on the server as well
i got this far in the pd installation process & hit a wall:

checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for egrep... grep -E
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking for sys/types.h... yes
checking for sys/stat.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking for memory.h... yes
checking for strings.h... yes
checking for inttypes.h... yes
checking for stdint.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking for pid_t... yes
checking for size_t... yes
checking whether time.h and sys/time.h may both be included... yes
checking for ANSI C header files... (cached) yes
checking fcntl.h usability... yes
checking fcntl.h presence... yes
checking for fcntl.h... yes
checking limits.h usability... yes
checking limits.h presence... yes
checking for limits.h... yes
checking malloc.h usability... yes
checking malloc.h presence... yes
checking for malloc.h... yes
checking sys/ioctl.h usability... yes
checking sys/ioctl.h presence... yes
checking for sys/ioctl.h... yes
checking sys/time.h usability... yes
checking sys/time.h presence... yes
checking for sys/time.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... (cached) yes
checking bstring.h usability... no
checking bstring.h presence... no
checking for bstring.h... no
checking whether gcc needs -traditional... no
checking return type of signal handlers... void
checking for vprintf... yes
checking for _doprnt... no
checking for gettimeofday... yes
checking for select... yes
checking for socket... yes
checking for strerror... yes
checking for dlopen in -ldl... yes
checking for sin in -lffm... no
checking for sin in -lm... yes
checking for pthread_create in -lpthread... yes
checking for X... no
checking for XCreateWindow in -lX11... no
no X11 found
checking tcl.h usability... no
checking tcl.h presence... no
checking for tcl.h... no
checking tcl8.7/tcl.h usability... no
checking tcl8.7/tcl.h presence... no
checking for tcl8.7/tcl.h... no
checking tcl8.6/tcl.h usability... no
checking tcl8.6/tcl.h presence... no
checking for tcl8.6/tcl.h... no
checking tcl8.5/tcl.h usability... no
checking tcl8.5/tcl.h presence... no
checking for tcl8.5/tcl.h... no
checking tcl8.4/tcl.h usability... no
checking tcl8.4/tcl.h presence... no
checking for tcl8.4/tcl.h... no
checking tcl8.3/tcl.h usability... no
checking tcl8.3/tcl.h presence... no
checking for tcl8.3/tcl.h... no
checking tcl8.2/tcl.h usability... no
checking tcl8.2/tcl.h presence... no
checking for tcl8.2/tcl.h... no
no tcl header found

so, from what i can tell, it looks like i need to install x86 as
mentioned in the pd documentation
unfortunately i'm using a virtual private server, so i don't have root

the Xinstall.sh file told me:
Checking which OS you're running...
uname reports 'Linux' version '2.4.9-e.40', architecture 'i686'.
libc version is '6.2.4' (6.2).

Binary distribution name is 'Linux-ix86-glibc22'

so i downloaded everything i needed according to the info at
http://ftp.xfree86.org/pub/XFree86/4.4.0/binaries/Install
then when i ran it again, i got:
sh: ./Xinstall.sh: bad interpreter: Permission denied

i then tried chmod'ing & chown'ing everything to my account, but keep
getting the same error message
so i'm not sure where that leaves me...

i see that there are compiled versions of pd for mac, irix & windows...
but is there one for linux anywhere?

i'm also curious as how i would connect the audio output from a pd
patch to a streaming mechanism
and whether this is something that is even feasible in a shared
environment,
or if i would need to have a dedicated machine co-located somewhere
any help or guidance anyone out there could give me would be great...

thanks,
-mark