[PD] PDa update/buglist/comments

derek holzer derek at x-i.net
Fri Mar 18 19:42:26 CET 2005

Hi Guenter + the list,

Guenter put up a new beta of PDa + Tcl/Tk libs for the IPAQ yesterday,
so I tested most of the afternoon.

And here's the bugs/comments of the day, as I discovered them. I'm using
the latest PDa, Tcl and Tk packages from:
http://gige.xdv.org/pda/release/familiar/
with Familiar 0.8.1 on an HP IPAQ 5550, in case anyone's interested.

Check the dates rather then the versions of the packages against what
you have installed, as Guenter updated them yesterday without changing
the version numbers.

I would tentatively recommended upgrading for anyone who's running it
right now due to better oscillator sound, math operations and conversion
routines. Major Tcl/Tk bug under IPAQ which piled all the text in the
upper left corner is fixed. However, I've found the GUI in general more
prone to crashing on "problem objects" (i.e. tables, numberboxes and
[vcf~]) than before...see below for details.

BUGS CHECKED TODAY/COMMENTS:

* [dbtorms], etc: You note: "conversion routines (dbtorms,mtof, etc) are
only available for control flow", but I'm not sure what you mean by this...
* I just checked [dbtorms], [rmstodb], [mtof] and [ftom] in the latest
versions and they appear fine.

* GUI window Audio Peak Meters: non-functional until DSP is switched
off, then they flash a red "100".

* GUI number boxes: will freeze GUI/crash PD if updated too frequently.
Output of single [env~] object is sometimes enough to do this! Is there
anything native in PDa to limit the refresh rate of the numberbox?

* GUI tables/graphs: updating graphical tables also risky. [metro 1000]
to a [tabwrite~] could be enough to crash PD.

* [vcf~]: You note: "vcf~ could be improved in quality". Agreed! Sound
improved from previous version, which was largely unresponsive to
frequency changes, but this object has possibility to freeze GUI + kill
audio at unknown times. Prints "0.000141" to the terminal for no known
reason.

* [lop~], [bp~] and [hip~] function as expected.

* [routeOSC]: does not create.
* [dumpOSC]: creates as expected.
* [sendOSC]: does not create with following error:
/usr//lib/pd/extra/sendOSC.pd_linux:
/usr//lib/pd/extra/sendOSC.pd_linux: undefined symbol: OSC_errorMessage

* [netsend] + [netreceive]: work as expected.

* [vd~]: does not create.
* Other delay/table objects such as [delwrite~] + [delread~] and
[tabwrite~] + [tabread~] don't seem to be different, except as you have
noted: "tabread~ and tabwrite~ are indexed in milliseconds instead of
samples".

* You might also mention in the docs that [soundfiler] exports length in
ms not samples here as well.

*Probably the interpolation of [tabread4~] is not available here in
Fixed-Point-land?

* [sfread~] + [sfwrite~]: you write: "The readsf and writesf objects are
replaced by sfread and sfwrite", but you might clarify that these need
tildes in the names: [sfread~], [sfwrite~].

* Lots of clicks n' cuts when using the GUI with oscillators,
etc. But you knew that already as well! OTOH, it seems to respond nicely
to the -rt flag, making operation much much smoother.

* Filters and (especially) oscillators sounding much better than before.
[osc~] in particular gave a very nasty, distorted rectangle wave in the
previous version I tested:
https://puredata.info/Members/derek/PDa.osc.1.png/image_view_fullscreen

* Also, you might include my directions for remote X11 forwarding in
your FAQ.

* Will check audio recording with [sfwrite~] later on. Audioplayback
with [tabread~] works as expected, haven't checked [sfread~] yet.

* Object requests:
* [shell]: Ggee
* [wrap]: Cyclone
* [makesymbol], [date], [time]: Zexy