[PD] multiple_window feature of Gem?

Mike Wozniewski mike at ozmediasolutions.com
Sun Mar 20 23:56:42 CET 2005

Hi.

I've found some mention to the "multiple_window" of Gem. How do I get started with this? Are there any docs that describe how to get Gem working in multiple windows?

Also, we're trying to run Gem in an immersive environment, with several projectors maintained by different machines. Originally, we were going to have multiple copies of the same Pd/Gem environment running on each machine, with some synchronization controls being sent through the network. But I'm excited about using the multiple_window feature to perhaps have only one machine running the environment, and just sending the other Gem windows to the other machines. Can someone explain how I would go about doing this?

At some point, IOhannes said:

"it is kind of X-forwarding; my guess was, that since X is forwarding only the openGL-instructions (instead of the window "pixel" contents) this should be fast enough (except when big textures are involved, where we are at the stage of normal pixel-forwarding)"

How do I send the multiple Gem windows to various other machines in this lite fashion so that only openGL instructions are sent, and not the full contents?

Also, if James Tittle is out there:

Did you ever finish your example patch that shows how to do "frustum culled" rendering with multiple windows in Gem? It is quite essential that we be able to display different views of our 3D environment on each of the screens, and that the viewing frustums line up according to screen geometry. Any examples that you have of this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a ton,
Mike Wozniewski