[PD] pix_write

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Mar 21 11:10:22 CET 2005

wollscheid wrote:
> Hi list...!
> gem questions...
> when I save a picture with pix_write 2 things happen
> - automatically 5 zeros are added to file-name.
> How do I get rid of those?
this is a feature not a bug.
if you want to write a series of images, it is normally a good idea to
have them numbered consecutively.
gem does not know whether you want to write only one single frame or  a
sequence of 1000.

> - when opening the picture with another program (like photoshop) it
> appears inverted and upside down...
> How can I change this with in GEM?

the problem is due to the way image-data is handled in openGL (and GEM
is an openGL-application) and in other 2D-applications:
openGL assumes that 0,0 is the lower-left corner; most image formats
assume that 0,0 is upper-left; this makes images written with
[pix_write] upside down.

of course one could flip the image before writing it to disk, but i
haven't done so for the sake of speed;

since stills are offline by nature and it is very simple to flip the
image with your favourite offline editor (imagemagick, photoshop if you
prefer) i rather don't bother the CPU in a realtime environment with
such tasks.

but of course you could always turn the camera to be bottom-up (like
[view 0 0 4 0 0 0 0 -1 0() ; you can also swap left-rigth with the
"perspec" message.

i don't know what you mean by "inverted" though.

mfg.asd.r
IOhannes