[PD] multiple_window feature of Gem?

Mike Wozniewski mike at ozmediasolutions.com
Mon Mar 21 18:59:41 CET 2005

Thanks for the input,

It's funny that you've pointed me to Sebastien Roy and the Open Territories
project, since I'm actually working with the Zack Settel - who's quite
affiliated with Open Territories and the SAT. (To Zack: welcome to the
discussion).

I guess we could strengthen our ties on this? ...we seem to be working on
things that would mutually benefit each other.

To Sebastien: What kind of rendering engine does the Open Territories
immersive projection system use? If you use Pd, how good is your
communication between Pd and your rendering engine? Have you thought about
displaying Gem output in your environment?

We would really like to display Gem in our immersive environment because our
graphical output is highly coupled with our audio processing. The main
problem is how to distribute the processing for the displays among the
various machines? B. Bogart offered the solution below of sending graphic
control messages via OSC. This is what we've been thinking, and the fact
that v_oscout and v_oscin objects exist that sync the patches on remote
machines is quite nice.

Ideally, we would probably like the multiple_window feature of Gem work
across remote machines... but IOhannes has responded:

"the problem is that as multiple_window is done right now, it depends on
display-list sharing, which is not possible across multiple machines. thus
it doesn't yet work to have one "master" machine running the gem-patch and
several slaves which do the actual drawing."

He also mentioned that we could try using Chromium (http://chromium.sf.net)
instead. Perhaps it's possible to develop some Chromium objects for Gem? I
really have no idea if this is possible... any comments?

Thanks,
-Mike Wozniewski

P.S. In addition to myself, we have some summer students at McGill that will
be working on this problem. So we could probably make a decent effort into
extending Gem to work in immersive environments!