[PD] GEM pix delay loop

Ian Smith-Heisters heisters at 0x09.com
Mon Mar 21 20:01:47 CET 2005

B. Bogart wrote:
> Ah.. I wish there were enough windows developers to help with the
> windows stuff!!! I wonder what the stats are for what OSs people use PD
> on. I get the feeling it has an inverse relationship to what the
> developers are using! ;)

Usually I use and love Linux + PDP, but when the computer isn't mine...
I guess what I need to do here is not try to use GEM as a substitute for
PDP and give in to its paradigm.

> What are you actually doing with the add and multiply? for a test you
> could try using pix_data to create a pd message of the image, and then
> dumping that as a message back into the chain above.

What I'd like to do is apply successive blurs and pix_curves at a slight
delay, so the effect would be a very slow-to-fade motion blur with color
difference over time. In general, I use delay loops a lot to apply
temporal layering effects of all sorts.

I don't see how [pix_data] could be of help here, from the help file:
"[pix_data] will get the colour of a specified pixel within an image
when triggered." Unless I used... 307,200 [pix_data]s to totally
reconstruct the image ;)

Is this sort of what pix_buf is supposed to be for? I can't get it to do
anything, and the help file isn't exactly clear to me: "All images use a
pull system, so as long as nothing is modified in the pix "upstream",
the pix_buf is still valid."

> I've done very little with pix_ stuff in Gem, since I'd not consider it
> the strength of Gem... so maybe some other Gem pix_ gurus have some ideas??

I suppose not. Perhaps there are some snazzy, similar things I could do
with OpenGL. Do you have any tricks for using video input as an input to
GEM's OpenGL? I could see a similar effect being accomplished with
semi-transparent objects laid over one another, but how could I use pix_
information to effect the shape of an OpenGL object?

> could you do something using multiple gem-chains? perhaps using
> pix_separator and/or the pix buffer stuff.

I thought of that, but a [pix_video] object can only exist in one
gemlist per camera.

Thanks for the tips.
Cheers,
Ian