[PD] [OT] Harware accelaration on ATI radeon 9000 (M9) for gem

Andres Cabrera andres at geminiflux.com
Mon Mar 21 21:43:30 CET 2005

Hi all,
I'm making the switch to linux (FC2 planet CCRMA) for my gem projects,
but haven't been able to get gem to run fast. (I assume I have no
hardware acceleration since a simple movie playback with pix_film sends
the cpu to the roof, and the playback is really slow- how can I check if
I have hardware acceleration? xorg.0.log reports: (II) RADEON(0): Direct
rendering disabled)
I have built pd 0.39 and gem 0.90.0 from cvs.
I've seen the proprietary ATI drivers that seem to need xorg 6.8: should
I update to xorg 6.8 (current version is 6.7)? (is it safe on FC2 planet
CCRMA?). Is there another route with free drivers?
I'm not actually using planetCCRMA's builds for this, but the CCRMA
builds have produced the same result. (btw, gem 0.90.0 is alot more
stable than 0.888! (is it the lack of hardware acceleration?))

Cheers,
Andrés

PD. I might have broken something because I installed MESA from source
(thinking it was needed for building gem), which I think replaces the GL
libraries, however I forced installed xorg-devel and libs to the ccrma
versions.