[PD] [OT] Harware accelaration on ATI radeon 9000 (M9) for gem

CK chris at lo-res.org
Mon Mar 21 21:52:51 CET 2005

I read:
> I have hardware acceleration? xorg.0.log reports: (II) RADEON(0): Direct
> rendering disabled)

so apparently you don't have hw opengl

> I have built pd 0.39 and gem 0.90.0 from cvs.
> I've seen the proprietary ATI drivers that seem to need xorg 6.8: should
> I update to xorg 6.8 (current version is 6.7)? (is it safe on FC2 planet
> CCRMA?). Is there another route with free drivers?

I use the free drivers since I'm on ppc but ati's should perform better
if you can use them.

> I'm not actually using planetCCRMA's builds for this, but the CCRMA
> builds have produced the same result. (btw, gem 0.90.0 is alot more
> stable than 0.888! (is it the lack of hardware acceleration?))

I don't know much about xorg, I need to load agp and radeon kernel modules
and when I fire up x I get:

$ glxinfo | grep render
direct rendering: Yes
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI R200 20030328 AGP 1x TCL

glxgears gives me just above ~1000fps that is with a
ATI Technologies Inc Radeon R250 Lf [Radeon Mobility 9000 M9] (rev 01)
(as reported by lspci)

HTH

chris at lo-res.org	Postmodernism is german romanticism with better
http://pilot.fm/	special effects. (Jeff Keuss / via ctheory.com)