[PD] best linux system for using Pd just now

julien.breval at tremplin-utc.net julien.breval at tremplin-utc.net
Tue Mar 22 18:19:03 CET 2005

Hello

I have been using Pd on Red Hat 9 / Planet CCRMA for over one year with great
satisfaction. Some info, kernel = 2.4.11 low latency, sound card = hdsp
multiface, pd version = 0.37.

Recently, for some crash reason I had to make a complete new installation of
linux. As I didn't have much time, I used a ubuntu-linux installation cd that
someone gave me (hopefully) some days before.
Now I have to use Pd again but I can't get it work on this new system.

The first thing I need is to have the (hdsp) sound. I tried to install the
latest stable alsa driver but the ./configure script says "unsupported soundcard
hdsp", which of course doesn't look normal.

Maybe the best solution for me is to install a low latency kernel that includes
a correct alsa driver. Will the planet CCRMA kernel work with ubuntu-linux ? or
should I install RH9 again instead ? Are there other kernels for this ? The
thing is that I don't have a lot of time to spend on this. I can install another
 kernel, possibly another linux distribution, like RH9 (I have the CDs) -- but
definitely not build an audio-specific gentoo linux, for example.

After I have a low latency alsa kernel, I can install the hdsploader program and
everything should work.

Last thing : I currently have pd-0.38 (original version) installed on this
machine. When I type "pd -jack", I get a message telling me that this flag
doesn't exist.
So I tried to install pd-devel_0_38, but ./configures says that there is no Tcl
header on my machine, though tcl/tk is clearly installed ...

So if anyone has a quick solution for running Pd as soon as possible, it will be
truly appreciated

best regards,
-j